Friday, September 30, 2011

The DSAEK Bubble Bubble Bubble




If you’re familiar with DSAEK, you’re familiar with “the bubble”.    It’s the great little vehicle to help get the transplant to adhere to the back of your cornea.    You need that adherence for a chance to get the DSAEK to be successful.    The bubble’s primary requirement is that you need to be looking at the ceiling for at least one day – usually two - so that it can position itself at the right spot and adhere.

This past Tuesday, I received my third bubble.   The first one was on the day of surgery, the second one was almost two weeks later.      Bubble #1 and Bubble #2 didn’t get the job done – and it appears as though Bubble #3 can’t get the job done either.     Not that it’s the bubbles’ fault.   My doctor thinks it may have something to do with the geometry of space that is left behind the cornea.  

Well, although it has been three days since my last rebubbling, I can still see that little bubble….so as often as I can, I still lie down and look up and back at the ceiling and wall.   Today I even talked to the bubble and asked it to please try to squeeze the transplant up against the back of my cornea to get it to adhere.     I doubt if it will listen….but hey, why not try!     These bubbles have had me on my back 7+ days this month….so I figure I have earned the right to have a chat with one of them!   :)

The technology of DSAEK is wonderful and amazing and has allowed many many people regain their sight.   Although it hasn't worked for me YET, I do know that I will never look at a bubble quite  the same way again!      

Have a great day!    

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I have had 6 DSAEKS and as many bubbles. I have bilateral ICE and have been blind a few times. Just had my 3rd DSAEK in my left eye after a failed full transplant. The 2nd DSAEK didn't work, but after 3 weeks this latest one is fully attached and pumping. The vision is coming slowly but surely! The doc said this DSAEK has been the best so far. Don't give up hope. I had my 2nd DSAEK in my right eye 10 months ago and it is good too. I have to lie looking at the ceiling for 3 days and nights............it drives me stir crazy but you have to do it.
    I hope all went well for you!

    ReplyDelete