Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Slowing Down

In 48 hours, my corneal endothelial transplant will be finished.   I will be home & laying flat on my back with my head consistently looking up at the ceiling.  I need to lay in this position for two days with  just short bathroom and eating breaks. 

For those not familiar with an endothelial transplant (otherwise known as DSAEK), only the endothelial layer of the donor cornea is transplanted behind the healthy portion of cornea of the recipient patient.   This is a delicate surgery - but one that generally results in less recovery time.   Once the transplant has been placed in the eye, an air bubble is put behind the transplant to help it adhere to the cornea....thus the reasoning for laying flat on ones back.....to enable that donor tissue to adhere with the assistance of an air bubble.   

I had this same procedure done earlier in the year, however, it was deemed unsuccessful....probably due to some trauma it experienced getting placed in the eye with the three tube shunts and resultant scar tissue present.    I'm hopeful I will get a much better result this time - and do have full faith in my doctor that he will give it his all.    I am thankful for the new opportunity and for all the technology that has evolved over the years.  

After eight surgeries on my eye, I have learned that I need to start slowing down - or shutting down - about 48 hours prior surgery.    I like to try to focus on relaxing, thinking good thoughts and making sure everything is ready to "come home" to.    This will be my last post until surgery and immediate recovery time is complete.     Take care! 

No comments:

Post a Comment