Friday, September 7, 2012

Tough Times Don't Last - Tough People Do!



I have been struggling for several days with what to write in my “next post”.    You see, life continues and the unexpected happens.   This represents my past couple of weeks.   Yesterday, as I waited during my son’s soccer practice, I tried to write – but the words just wouldn’t come.   And  then back on the road in the car to take my son to his next appointment – the radio was on – and the answer was right there.  

Tough Times Don’t Last
Tough People Do

It’s a phrase I have known for years. But this time, the phrase came to me in song….a song by country music singer Trace Adkins.    It spoke to me – and was my answer to my post dilemma.  (You can listen to the song here if you'd like.) 

My past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of happenings.   The most devastating – an uncontrolled brush fire that swept through – destroyed - my family’s heritage farmstead.   No one lived there – no lives were lost – thank God.    But the physical loss and the emotional toll on my parents – in their 80's - has been rough.   Trying to be "steady" for my folks and dealing with my own emotions of memories of the farmstead - and of dreams lost - controlled me for days.    

My son and I "picking pears" on the farmstead several years ago.

Throw in the start of middle school for my son and all that entails – new routines, back-to-school night, fund raisers, homework.   Adjust to new schedules for soccer, baseball and basketball practices and games.   Add in the start of middle school Church “Confirmation” classes on Wednesday nights and continue on with some weekly medical appointments for my son.  Hear of two acquaintances that have passed away.  

To say I have been emotionally and physically overwhelmed and exhausted is an understatement.     I just now feel like I’m starting to emerge out of the fog.   You know why?    Tough Times Don’t Last – Tough People Do – and  I am tough!   My faith helps get me there. 

We all experience tough times – it’s part of life.   But it is up to us to know those tough times won’t last and it is up to us to choose to be tough.   I do think there is a time for us to feel  the sorrow – feel the loss - feel exhausted during the tough patches of life.   But we then must pull ourselves up by the bootstraps, stay strong and get moving again.   

For us ICErs, we know we are in this ICE thing for life.    So you may question that this “tough” disease is one “tough time” that will last.   BUT I challenge you to look at lCE just a bit differently.   Take it day by day - event by event.  There WILL be tough times – perhaps a high pressure reading, another surgery, a dull ache, more drops,  poor vision - you know the routine.   But through each of those tough times, CHOOSE to pull yourself up by the bootstraps, and know that you WILL get through it.  Adjust to a new normal if necessary.    Be tough and LIVE your life.

God bless!   All is well!

2 comments:

  1. Deb, I am so sorry to hear of the fire. How devastating it must be for your parents and for you. Hang in there. You're right. We have to be tough.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my dad in 1997, my husband to kidney failure in 2002, my only sister to ovarian cancer in 20
    13 and buried my mom on my birthday two years ago. I am the only one left. Sometimes when I'm feeling sorry for myself because of the ICE, I think of how they would love to be here, how much my husband wanted to see the boys grow up, and how my sister wanted to live to see her newborn twin grandsons. It puts things in perspective for me and I realize how much worse things could be! I know God has a plan and I have already seen Him use this disease I have in a positive way. Maybe I can share that story with you one day! Donna

    ReplyDelete