Thursday, March 22, 2012

More Surgery! Tube Shunt Removal and ECP

Did I just write MORE SURGERY???   Yes I did!     Can I say "Disruption" and then turn around and say "Grateful"?    You bet I can! 

GRATEFUL for Grape Hyacinths growing in my garden too!
At my glaucoma appointment this week, surgery was scheduled for Wednesday, April 11.    My 11th eye surgery on the 11th!    As much as surgery disrupts life for a bit, I am looking forward to it - because it will hopefully address multiple issues.   

Bottom line, the tube & plate on the lower nasal side of my eye will be removed and I will also undergo a laser surgery known as EPC (which basically shuts down some faucets of aqueous fluid - more on that in another post).   

So why is a tube shunt being removed?    

First of all, one of the complications of glaucoma tube shunts is that they, over time,  may get exposed to the outside of the eye and cause a risk of infection.    This is the second time this tube has done this - so rather than continually deal with it with no real benefit (this tube has never really "worked") - it's gone! 

Second, this particular tube shunt is known as a Baerveldt.    The plate of this type of shunt lies in/near the eye muscle - and one of its complications can be strabismus and double vision.   I have noticed for several years now that when I look at my right eye in the mirror - it somewhat floats up and outward.   Since my last DSAEK six months ago, when I could start seeing a tad better, I often see ghosting & floating double images.    Honestly, it has been driving me a little bonkers over the past couple of months.   So HOPEFULLY, by removing this tube shunt, my eye may straighten up a bit and the double vision will subside.   

Third, getting the tube shunt away from my endothelial transplant will be a good thing.   No tube near or against the transplant tissue - less chance that tissue will get damaged - thus reduced cornea swelling - meaning being able to see clearer!   

So based on all of this, I am GRATEFUL this is a path we are going down.   I took my doctor's "first available" surgery time slot - I am willing, anxious and ready!

So what about my eye pressure?   Still a little high - but this is where the ECP comes in.   More on that later!  

CHOOSE to LIVE today!   BE GRATEFUL!    ALL IS WELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment