Friday, October 28, 2011

ICE, Prayers & Miracles



I am a Christian.  I believe in the power of prayer.   But when it comes to ICE and some of the challenges it presents, I have been hesitant to ask for prayers.   Beyond family and close friends, it has just seemed so selfish to me.   ICE is not life threatening - it is not a life or death sentence.  Sure, it has its lifelong share of problems...problems I wouldn't choose to have...but problems I wouldn't trade for some other ailments out there.    God gave us two eyes and I'm nearing the mid-century age mark...,so who am I to complain - and ask for prayers - when one gets painful and goes bad?   Honestly.

When I had my first DSAEK surgery in February, I told a few people in my church and was on their prayer list.   I didn't expect problems  from that first surgery and I didn't expect my cornea surgeon to act as though he would prefer me - a complicated case - to vanish.   When it was apparent to me in July that things were getting worse and I was going to need to find a new doctor, I needed prayers - not just for my eye but, more importantly, for a new doctor that would understand.   I shared my concerns with a few more - and more prayers were lifted up.

Prayer does change things.   Within a week, I had a referral for a new doctor and since then, I have seen and experienced so many things that I believe are miracles - maybe coincidences to some - but definitely many small miracles to me.     Last week the adherence of the transplant - mere hours before it was to be removed - was clearly a very visible miracle to me.    

ICE won't stop there but it has allowed me to experience so much...so much more than if I had been healthy and spared from this disease.    You see, while I believe prayer led me to my new doctor and a new phase of this journey - including the tissue attachment,  I know that prayer has transformed and renewed my heart and my attitude - a most wonderful gift.   Yes, ICE - a true blessing in disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment